The California Seismic Safety Commission is dedicated to informing the public about seismic safety. The Student and Teacher Resource page is here to guide both students and instructors to valuable resources that will help explain and prepare for seismic events. Additionally, there is a Teacher Resource Center that helps teachers by providing tools for classroom instruction related to earth sciences. Any California school teacher may borrow materials.
Earthquake and Seismic Information
- Learn about potential earthquake danger. This map shows the relative intensity of ground shaking and damage in California from anticipated future earthquakes.
- Welcome to Earthquakes for Teachers. A USGS website which provides resources for teacher on topics of earth structure, plate tectonics, and earthquakes.
- Welcome to Earthquake County A website which provides information about the basics in earthquake preparedness. What you should know before, and after an earthquake.
- Protecting Your Family From Earthquakes The Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety. This informative booklet published by USGS is available in a Spanish version and, in English, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean versions.
Mt. Etna, Sicily (November 2002)– The eruption pictured here began in October of 2002 and continued through February of 2003. The photograph here is from a sustained volcanic eruption from fractures on the south flank of Mt. Etna in November 2002. Image courtesy of Tom Pfeiffer www.decadevolcano.net (copyright).
- Learn how Volcanoes Work. Visit Dr. Vic Camp’s website (Department of Geological Sciences, San Diego State University.) This site is sponsored by NASA under the auspices of Project ALERT (Augmented Learning Environment and Renewable Teaching).
- Mt. St. Helens Volcano Cam (Web cam updated every 5 minutes)
- Information in Spanish too.
Volcano Research Links
- Southern California Earthquake Data Center Education
- United States Geological Survey The Learning Web
- California Geological Survey
- The Geological Society of America K-12 Teacher Resources