Public records maintained by the Alfred E. Alquist Seismic Safety Commission (CSSC) are available for public inspection according to the following procedures:
- Records are available for inspection during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Requests for inspection or copying of public records:
- Should be specific, focused and not interfere with the ordinary business operations of the CSSC. Where a request is not specific and focused, CSSC staff will assist the requester to identify the requested information, describe the technology or physical location of the record, and provide suggestions on how to overcome practical barriers to disclosure. The operational functions of the CSSC will not be suspended to permit inspection of records during periods in which such records are reasonably required by CSSC personnel in the performance of their duties. If the request requires review of numerous records, a mutually agreeable time should be established for the inspection of the records.
- Should sufficiently describe the records so that they can be identified, located, and retrieved by CSSC personnel.
- Can be made orally or in writing, but the CSSC encourages written requests unless the request seeks records that are maintained by the CSSC for immediate public inspection. Please note, closed investigative files are placed in storage and are not readily available, thus requiring the request to be in writing.
- The CSSC may refuse to disclose any records which are exempt from disclosure under the Public Records Act. (See e.g., Gov. Code § 6254 et seq.)
- Inspection of records will be allowed upon conditions determined by the CSSC. Upon either the completion of the inspection or the oral request of CSSC personnel, the person conducting the inspection shall relinquish physical possession of the records. Persons inspecting CSSC records shall not destroy, mutilate, deface, alter or remove any such records from the CSSC. The CSSC reserves the right to have CSSC personnel present during the inspection of records in order to prevent the loss or destruction of records.
- Copies of records that are not exempt from disclosure are available upon pre-payment of the copying costs (.10 cents per page).
- These guidelines shall be posted in a conspicuous public place in the CSSC, and a free copy shall be provided upon request.